Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Alacrity should be a way of life

a·lac·ri·ty [uh-lak-ri-tee] 1. cheerful readiness, promptness, or willingness. 2. liveliness; briskness. I have recently been going through a phase of literary exploration that has strayed into the classics. Currently on the night stand is Jane Austen's Emma which is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Maybe I relate to Emma's naivety, her infallible opinions, or her complete awakening towards her own insignificance, but the word alacrity kept appearing. Hearing my mother's voice in my head instructing me to "go look up the words you don't know," and I came across this little gem of archaic English eloquence.

The energy and enthusiasm to just be ready to go ahead with whatever is thrust your way is something I am occasionally able to accomplish but not with the regularity that I would like. There is something completely liberating to know that you have made the choice to just be ready. No matter the situation, the changes or the upheaval of plans; you just choose to cheerfully be ready. I'm not saying I want to go to the extent of Yes, Man although a day or two could certainly open your eyes to the potential your own life can offer. Just a consistent thought that powers and shapes the choices you make. It was truly thrilling to come across such an exhilarating word that is not used often enough.

Basically, say yes more often than you say no.

No comments:

Post a Comment